Most people think that FTP speed depends on server and network speed. How about FTP client? Which FTP client should you prefer If you need high speed?
I tested three FTP clients:
- FileZilla 3.5.3
- CuteFTP 8.3.2
- Total Commander 7.55
Here is test environment:
- Operating system: Windows 7 Ultimate
- FTP Server speed: 30 Mbps (download), 140 Mbps (upload)
- Network speed: 32 Mbps (download), 2 Mbps (upload)
I have tried download/upload three times and calculated average. All clients have had the same conditions. The results:
* I used multi-part download and normal upload on CuteFTP. I used default settings on FileZilla and Total Commander.
* Passive mode was used for both download and upload (Find out more).
As a result
- Don’t use Total Commander! Upload speed of Total Commander is terrible!
- If you like open source programs choose FileZilla.
- If you like programs that have user-friendly interface, choose CuteFTP.
1 thought on “Which FTP client is better: FileZilla, CuteFTP or TotalCommander?”